Tuesday, July 2, 2013

School Holiday paper play | bookmark tutorial...

Hello Everyone.  You may have guessed by my short posts and lack of commenting lately, that we are in the middle of a two week school holiday break.  And the weather is very wet and dreary, so what better way to spend the day than to play with a little bit of paper.  *grin*

The kids have been reading a lot of books lately and Liam especially has been asking  me to make him a simple bookmark.  Well, to keep him busy (and creative) I told him, he could make his own bookmark! Enter... Pinterest!

 
"Liam's Dragon - aged 10"

After a little bit of searching, we chose a fun origami style bookmark, created from a sheet of 6in x 6in patterned paper.  Perfect!  I certainly have a few 6in x 6in paper pads stashed away and they need to be used!
 
Here is the origami folding method we used..
 

The next step is to insert a 2.75in square inside the open fold to create the mouth.  Finish off the bookmark by adding eyes (two different sized circle punches), teeth and tongues.  I let the kids fold and glue all of their monsters and dragons together.  That is how easy this tutorial is!

Once dry, they slip straight over the book page ready for the kids to devour more of the written word! *wink*


They are really quite fun and kind of cute to look at! Check them out...

 
"Cameron's Monster - aged 3"

 
"Ethan's Lizard - aged 7"

What creative things do you like to make with kids? My boys really love to "scrapbook"! LOL! Thanks for visiting...x




8 comments:

MelB said...

I love this!!!!!! I must try this with the girls and their cousins, they would love it. SO happy you posted this.

Lizzy Hill said...

Fabulous! Great idea over the edge of the pages, too....I've just got rid...woops! I mean, been minding the STep GrandDaughter, who's flown home to QLD...we Cooked. And Played Rumikub. Lots. She made a couple of cards & I tried HARD not to tell her what looked best:):):)!!!!!!!!!

Lizzyc said...

How wonderful! a good way to keep them busy for a few minutes with something practical!!

Chantalle said...

Those are freakin awesome! I want to put an order in ;)

Becki Adams said...

What a great idea! My kids would love to do this as well! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kerryn said...

So cool! I reckon my girl would be pretty keen to make a few of these. Thanks for sharing :).

Kim said...

This is sooooo cool I'm going to try it with the boys today !

Unknown said...

Love these Leanne, they are super cute!!!!!