Friday, March 4, 2011

New Smile...

Yesterday was a big day. And long. Let's not forget long! :) It started at 5am (or 3am for me if you count Cam waking up and being restless!!). Ethan had the day off school to go and visit the dentist. But not just any dentist.... Unfortunately he needed to see a paediatric dentist and a surgery ward. Time was not my friend yesterday. Every five minutes seemed to drag.

Due to undiagnosed reflux and the constant grinding of teeth caused by it, our poor little boy's teeth had started to really deteriorate. As his Mum I feel totally responsible. And my guilt increased ten-fold yesterday during the 3.5 hour wait while he was in surgery.
My pacing and nervous twitching was getting some sympathetic glances from the volunteer hospital worker. After those methods and Mark's reassurance didn't calm me, I think I started to drive the poor lady crazy with all my inane questions as to what she does and why! LOL!! She humoured me gracefully though. :)
Ethan needed stainless steel caps to protect his damaged teeth and prevent them from wearing out before his adult teeth come through. He was the perfect little patient though. Very calm going into the surgery ward on that huge bed...
And he was absolutely amazing coming out. I was expecting tears and lots of them. Nothing. For that I was grateful. He just looked up at me and slurred..."I love you Mum". The best words ever.

The lovely nurses put a movie on for him to be distracted with. I'm just not sure when the clown fish Nemo, from "Finding Nemo", was trying to escape from the dentist office and was causing excessive amounts of chaos and screaming (in the movie only), was appropriate!! LOL! Mark and I just started laughing.


Ethan wasn't interested anyway.


He just kept asking to go home. Until they brought out the big guns..... Ice-cream and jelly!


So today, he had a sick day. He has recovered quite well but the after effects from the anesthetic are still in his system. A slight temp and feeling very lethargic...

Although... this has all been forgotten since he received some happy mail! Yep the real deal, snail mail. A "Get Well" card posted to him from his teachers and classmates. Such a lovely and thoughtful thing for them to do. Considering his schooling career to date, has only been six weeks long! Gotta love that...x

8 comments:

Samantha Hauzer said...

Awww...poor little guy :( Sounds like he was very brave though. And that would have been so scary for you. Glad it all went well :)

Sheree said...

Oh Leanne...we've been there with Riley for the same thing! I'm glad it's all over now and you can relax a little. Hope he's feeling ok poor little man!

Sheree xx

Jules said...

oh no leanne! poor lil man... and poor mum!! hope all is well now... i sleep with an 'aclusal splint' too for the same reason... grinding! so good to catch it early tho! best wishes..x

Nikki xx said...

I sympathise Leanne! Noah has had to have dental work done in hosi' and it's just awful.....I think we were more traumatised than he was :) I'm glad it all went well and your little man is okay! x

Kerryn said...

awww your poor baby :(. Glad you all came through it ok. How lovely for his classmates to send a card for him. Hope your little man recovers quickly.
x

Kirsty said...

Oh what a brave little man! You poor mummy (((hugs)))
Wishing him a speedy recovery with lots of ice cream and jelly :)

Christine said...

Poor little man, I'm glad it went well though. You must have been so worried.

Mardi said...

Oh Leanne...I bet you are glad that day is over...
My nephew Cooper had the same thing done....and he kind of likes his 'robot teeth'
Mardi x